Healthy Ghugni

11:13 AM



Ghugni or yellow peas cooked in thick gravy is a very famous yet common snacking option for Bengalis. Whenever there is a big crowd gathering, Bengalis tend to prepare ghugni for them. One reason for that is, its easy to cook yellow peas in mass as it doesn’t loose its shape easily. In Kolkata you would find ghugni everywhere…go to any roadside Fuchkawala (golgappa seller) he would be having ghugni to top his plates of chaats, the sweet shops would have them to accompany kochuri or luchi which is a famous breakfast option for Bengalis, the Chopwala (fried fritters seller) will definitely have them in his thela (cart) just to serve with chopped onion, lime juice and bhaja masala…and at home they are served either with luchi, paratha, ruti or with muri (puffed rice).


Cooking ghugni is very easy and I believe my Maa makes the best one in this world. She always gets it perfectly boiled…soft but every grain Separate from each other. Her mangsher ghugni (ghugni with chicken pieces) is very famous among friends and family. As kids we used to have narkeler ghugni (with coconut) as the after school snack with roti or puffed rice.

When my marriage was fixed my in laws someday informed me that my hubby loves ghugni so much that whenever he visits home he goes out to local sweet shop to indulge plates of their sinful ghugni. So once I reached Bangalore and got everything set, one day I made a big batch (a real big bowlful) of ghugni and served it with other curries and roti. He loved it so much that he had the whole quantity in one go (ok I managed to get one bowl too). And from thet on ghugni is regular in my kitchen. Though we never fight (at least not yet; touchwood) but I guess if ever that happens and he gets angry…a bowlful of Ghugni will be my best bet.

Ghugni is commonly made with yellow chickpeas but green chickpeas are also being used these days. But my healthy ghugni is made with soybean. Actually I thought of this recipe during my pregnancy. Those were the days when my gynecologist continuously insisted on incorporating protein in my diet. Being an eggitarian I had very few options so I thought of making ghugni with soybeans. Now ‘Soybeans are considered by many agencies to be a source of complete protein A complete protein is one that contains significant amounts of all the essential amino acids that must be provided to the human body because of the body's inability to synthesize them. For this reason, soy is a good source of protein, amongst many others, for vegetarians and vegans or for people who cannot afford meat. According to the US Food and Drug Administration: Soy protein products can be good substitutes for animal products because, unlike some other beans, soy offers a 'complete' protein profile. ... Soy protein products can replace animal-based foods—which also have complete proteins but tend to contain more fat, especially saturated fat—without requiring major adjustments elsewhere in the die’t. You can find more about soybeans here





These are boiled , dry and soaked soybeans (from left to right).

I also have added some oyster mushroom to give it more power boost, and finally the outcome was a great success. Hubby said the mushroom tasted like chicken and it smelled actually like mangshor ghugni (ghugni with keema). Simply delicious.

Am sending this bowlful of Healthy legume to My Legume love affair created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook and hosted this month by Sra of When my soup came alive.

Now the recipe:

Healthy Ghugni-with Soybean and Mushroom




Ingredients:
Soybeans: 1 cup
Oyster or any other mushrooms: 1 packet
Potato: 1 small
Onion Paste: 2 medium
Ginger garlic pate: 11/2 teaspoon
Tomato: 1 medium
Chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder
Oil: 3 teaspoons
Sugar
Salt
Garam masala powder: 1/3 teaspoon

Method:
Wash and Soak the soybeans for 3-4 hours. Again wash and Pressure cook with salt and turmeric up to 2 whistles.

Chop the onions as finely as possible and keep aside. I chopped one and make paste of the other one.

Peel the potato and cut in small cubes.

Wash and shred the mushrooms and reserve.

Now heat the oil and fry the potato till light brown. Add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes. Then add the ginger garlic paste, salt, turmeric and chilli powder. Keep on frying on low heat till oil separate at the side.

Add the chopped tomato and again fry till it becomes soft and mushy.Now add the mushroom and fry for 4-5 minutes. Mix in the boiled soybeans and fried potato. Check the seasoning.

After another 4-5 minutes add 1 cup of warm water and cook covered on low heat.

Once the soybeans are cooked sprinkle the garam masala powder and serve hot. We had ours with roti for dinner and with puffed rice for evening snack.

Sandeepa of bongcookbook has one version of quickfix ghugni with chickpeas here.

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. : ) I really enjoyed this post ! & I think the picture is beautiful, i would love to give this recipe a shot as I have everything except for the Soy beans ( which i can buy)...this sure looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely and simple recipe...I would sureyl give this one a go. But maybe with chickpeas? or regular peas too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sayantani
    I love ghugni , but never taken one of Soya bean..I think I will give a try,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ei dekho coincidence! Aj breakfast e ghugni ar porota baniyechilam! Ar ektu muri diye mekhe lunch korlam. ;-) Soya diye ghugni darun idea toh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this..such a protien packet dish...yummyilicious..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love legumes..they are packed with proteins, wonderful recipe..just love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the idea of adding soybean in ghugni..very healthy option,..amar hubby o ghugni pagol..once in a week must..will give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moms make the best dishes!!This looks real nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. really healthy!never thought of ghugni with soy! good one dear :)nice snaps.hope to see u around more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your story behind the recipe :) Have never tried ghugni but will do so now! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Une cuisine que j'aime beaucoup et qui a beaucoup de goût.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely version of ghugni.I love traditional ghugni, never thought of doing a healthy version LOL. rastar dhare dnariye, dhulo, kali and unhealthy ghughni r kothai monay pore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely click and nice recipe, will surely try this one soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely story with a healthy ghugni recipe....we love the peas version but never tried soya in it..
    i make soy milk, soy curd n tofu at home but have never cooked the beans to make something like this....great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sayantani, Its my first visit here, and I am very much liking whatever I have explored :)
    Looking forward to more recipes from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I haven't commented on this - I was confident that I had! I've eaten this once. Thanks for the entry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. pictures are so nice.i think recipe also..thank u for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts